GIOD - Database Tests (III)
Evaluated usability and performance of Versant ODBMS, Objectivitys main competitor.
Converted our test application without problem, then measured performance in same way as we had for Objectivity
- Conversion took ~1/2 a day: minor changes to schema and source code
- Systems operation of Versant more cumbersome and time consuming (e.g. applying schema to each and every database)
- API easier to use and offered some convenient built-in features (e.g. LinkVstr - Objectivity equivalent is user-constructed ooVArray).
- Predicate queries seemed better implemented: certainly faster.
- Versant Java binding worked well: at the time we tested, Objectivity did not offer Java.
Conclusion: Versant a decent fall-back solution for us
Following these tests we concentrated solely on Objectivity